Do we really recognize the 10 signs why we should feel that we need to invoke the Buddha in us ? I don’t know whether this question will be relevant for everyone, but there will be surely some among us who will want to know why……….
Yes…..Snoopy is right……..we will die one day, but not on all days………:)…..this is something we tend to overlook and avoid and just simply forget at times. And this denial in our mind gives rise to so many different ways we love to suffer………
I don’t consider myself an authority in Buddha and his teachings……..but I try to find out as much as I can and this finding has slowly led me to invest my time in the teachings of the Awakened One……..and within that limited boundaries of my knowledge, I will try to find out these ten signs we must watch out for…………:)
- Every suffering has it’s origin in the mind. And suffering is that black cloud which hovers around us all the times and never seem to leave us no matter what. And our mind suffers because it is always restless……with countless thoughts running through it all the times in millions of different directions colliding with each other in utter chaos…………..this is the one of the most important signs which must ring the alarm.
- So many times in so many situations leave us fuming with anger all the times, within known and unknown circles, we get furious and do many things we wouldn’t generally do. We shout, behave rough, become unkind, sometimes abusive and further violent, and make things much worse…..we suffer and make everyone around us suffer……we inflict pain to ourselves and to everyone else…………..another major sign of the 10 signs that we are trying to find out.
- Love……drives everything, brings happiness, surprises us………..and then again, love inflicts the most vicious of pains that can be imagined of………..it turns our world upside down in our worst days, leaves us in profound sorrow…….simply, love hurts…….and when it hurts, it hurts bad…….this is another of the major signs that we must watch out for.
- It’s very easy for us to get jealous of our loved ones and near and dear ones, or rather everybody in our knowledge. Anything can make us jealous. And when we get jealous, it shows in our persona like anything, our entire body language becomes purely evil, and when that happens, that is not good news. Jealousy is a big factor in increasing our suffering, and in jealousy we start doing things and behave in manners that are unwanted and totally unnecessary. Our irrational behaviour due to jealousy shakes our world and leaves us unhappy forever. We must try to take proper precautionary measures before jealousy takes control of us.
- Another big sign of our restlessness is our constant resistance to change. Whenever there is a paradigm shift in our life routine, or there is even the forecast of an upcoming change, we become scared, we become restless, agitated and try our level best to resist that change at any cost. And that again leads us to irrational behaviour and ultimately causes us to suffer more. This is another of the 10 signs we must watch out for to try to invest a little time and energy in the teachings of Buddha.
- Many times we start comparing us and our loved ones with others. This comparing attitude always brings much more negative effect in our lives than positive. And it leaves us treating us and everybody in a pitiful manner and forces us to undertake drastic measures which increases our suffering.
- We tend to judge everybody whenever possible to the best of our imaginations based on rumours and here say. What ultimately happens in doing so is that we suffer more in our mind, become obsessive and cloud our mind with garbage mostly. We must look out for this particular sign even before it starts taking control of our mind.
- One of the most important issues in these 10 signs we are discussing here is attachment, which according to Buddha is the root cause of all suffering. Even though the area of attachment is vast, yet we can draw in a nutshell that too much attachment to anything leads to suffering whenever we have to undergo a non attachment of the same. Change is inevitable. And to accept that change without suffering requires mind training which proves beneficial in the long run.
- On any given some of us in some ways are about to hurt someone. Through our spoken and unspoken actions and many times not willingly, we tend to inflict severe pain and hurt on fellow beings. We must be very cautious before doing so and take due notice off this 9th out of the 10 signs we are discussing here, as this ultimately makes us suffer more than anyone else.
- And last but not the least, another very significant sign is our wanting to have more. More of what we already have and more of what we do not need, in simple terms it denotes our greed of material and non material things. Though we are not saying that working hard for all the pleasures in life is bad, it is good and very positive to enjoy the labors of hard work. But, when we want the same thing over and over again beyond our capacity due to greed and that encourages us to act contrary to our own good self, the trouble starts. This is the most significant of signs for us in today’s world to practice restraint.
Very relevant to our today’s world, there is a real need for mind control, which leads to peace, to happiness, to lead a life out of suffering, thus ensuring a peaceful world. And I strongly feel there is need to invest some part of our daily times in understanding the teachings of Buddha and follow the path that he led for all of us thousands of years ago. Particularly coming from a country, India, which has given Buddhism to the world, I can say with positiveness and confidence that I have got many help in controlling the mind following the teachings and philosophy of the Awakened One……….and my constant effort to bring out The Buddha in me……….:)
Thank you for reading.
All Pic : © Unsplash